For Safety of Women Passengers
Indian Railway announced that to facilitate female passengers, Railway is giving more and more facilities. So for the comfort and convenience of the female passengers following facilities have been provided.
Increase in Coaches for Women
- In Sleeper Class coach, reservation quota of 6 berths has been earmarked in Mail/Express trains on non-suburban section for ladies irrespective of age travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
- As per announcement of Railway Budget, 2016-17, Lower Berth quota in 2 A, 3 A and Sleeper classes has been increased by 50%. Now, in all trains having reserved sleeping accommodation, a combined quota of six lower berths per coach in Sleeper class and three lower berths per coach in AC 3 tier and AC 2 tier classes has been earmarked for Senior Citizens, Female passenger 45 years of age and above, and Pregnant women. In case of Rajdhani, Duronto and fully Air Conditioned/Express trains, the number of lower berths to be earmarked under this quota in 3 AC class are four per coach as against 3 in normal Mail/Express trains.
- In most of the long distance Mail/Express trains, unreserved accommodation is earmarked for ladies.
- Separate compartments/coaches have been earmarked in suburban trains for exclusive use of ladies passengers.
- During the Financial Year 2015-16, 28 Lakh berths under Ladies quota and 1.42 Crore berths under Senior Citizen quota were earmarked whose utilization was 85% and 86% respectively.
- Whenever recommendations are received from various quarters for increasing the number of coaches of the trains, they are examined, and to meet the increased demand various measures are taken which include introduction of new trains, enhancement of the composition of more popular trains, attachment of extra coaches in the existing trains, running of special trains for clearance of extra passengers traffic during peak seasons, festivals, special events etc. keeping in view the pattern of traffic, commercial justification, operational feasibility, availability of resources etc.
Special Announcements for Ladies
Western Railway decided to play special announcement for Women passengers to give them courage to report harassment cases. The announcements including encouraging words like” You have right to report”, You have a right to feel safe”, “note where it happened, the platform and number of the train, note the date and the time”, “take a photo if you can”, “don’t be quiet, speak up”.etc.
CCTV Cameras in 1000 more Railway Stations
Indian Railway announced in the press release about the coast of Installation of CCTVs in Railway stations and work in progress related to that . Close Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) have already been provided at 344 stations over Indian Railways. Railways have also planned to install Video Surveillance System (VSS) at 1000 stations under Nirbhaya Fund.
Total estimated cost of VSS chargeable to Nirbhaya Fund stands at 500 crore. Installation of CCTV cameras also forms part of Integrated Security System (ISS) and total estimated cost at 202 stations stands at 252.76 crore. The facility would be extended to 1000 stations, including Category ‘C’ suburban stations.
Strengthening and upgradation of security infrastructure is an ongoing process. Strengthening of CCTV surveillance system at the major stations is being done as per requirement.
IRCTC Helpline Number
Indian Railway also announced special helpline numbers for reporting Security related issues, it is very helpful for women commuters especially those who traveling alone.
For any Security related issues – All India Security Helpline No. 182.
Be Safe and Be alert Ladies