SIMPLE PALAPPAM RECIPE
Let’s check the delicious Simple Palappam Recipe with yeast.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250 ml)
2 cups regular rice (Parimal rice or Kolam rice)
a fistful of Sabudana (Optional)
a fistful of cooked rice
1 cup grated coconut or coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
2 tablespoon sugar
Salt for taste
Water for grinding
- Rinse and Soak the raw rice for at least 4 to 5 hours. Soak sabudana also. Soak it seperately because it won’t take much time. (If you want to make Palappam as an evening snack, put the rice in water in morning only).
- Drain and then add them to the grinder.
- Add grated coconut, cooked rice, sabudana dry yeast and sugar. You can add salt at this stage or the final stage i.e. at the cooking time.
- Add required amount of water and grind all the ingredients to a smooth flowing batter.
- Pour the batter in a large bowl or pan. cover and keep aside for fermenting for 8 to 10 hours, depending on the temperature conditions. If the climate is hot, no need to keep the batter in too much time.
- After fermenting the batter, mix it and pour it in a non – stick kadai with handle or appam pan. If you are using a non-stick pan, skip oil.
- Spread a ladle full of the batter. Turn and tilt the pan so as to spread the batter.
cover the pan and let the appam cook. The base would become nicely light golden.
- Keep appam in a large plate, otherwise it will stick each other.
Serve with any vegetable/non – vegetable stew Kadala curry, tomato kurma, egg curry or sweetened coconut milk.
- Always use good quality yeast.
- Always cook appam in sim fire, otherwise it will burn.
- For fermenting the batter, always use steel bowl.