Idli is a traditional healthy breakfast made in almost all South Indian houses. Step by step preparation method of Idli recipe are following.
There are two ways we can prepare idli batter. One method is with rice and urad dal, another method is with idli rava.
Idli batter can be ground in a stone wet grinder or in a mixer grinder. Mixer is common than grinder in almost all household, so here i am explaining the mixer grinder method. For making tasty and healthy idli use parmal rice and urad dal. You can add thick poha or cooked rice or both for getting softer idlis.
How to make soft idli
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
I cup parmal rice1/2 cup whole or split urad dal
1/4 cup flattened rice or poha
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek/Methi seeds
3 Cups Water for soaking the ingredients
1.25 cup water for grinding
2.5 cups water for steaming idlis
salt for taste
Oil for applying in the idli moulds
Method of Idli Recipe Preparation
- Put the dal/rice/poha or cooked rice/fenugreek seed in the mixer, add correct amount of water, for idli making we need a thick batter, grind till you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Pour the batter in large bowl and mix well.
- Add salt and again mix it. We can put salt after fermentation of batter also.
- Cover the bowl with a proper lid and let the batter ferment for 9 to 10 hours.
- After fermentation is over, the idli batter will become double in size and rise.
- Grease the idli moulds
- Pour the batter in the moulds and steam the idli in a steamer.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes
- Remaining batter pour in an air tight container and keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- You can soak rice, dal, poha, fengreek together after cleaning the ingredients. For grinding we can use the same water. It will help to make more soft idlis.
- For applying in the idli mould use till oil, other oil will be sticky.
- For fast cooking of idli keep idli moulds in the steamer after boiling the water .
- Don’t overcook the idli, it will turn hard.
- Don’t remove the steamer cover frequently, the nutrition facts of idli will reduce.
- At summer time fermentation of batter is not a problem, but at the winter/rainy season time natural fermentation is a bit problem, at that time boil water in large bowl cover it with a lid and keep idli batter bowl above that. Don’t mix salt in the batter before fermentation during cold season.
- If you are making idli in a proper way, we can carry idli as a healthy food even for long train journey.