Carrot Thoran Recipe
In South India people are using different types of thoran. Thoran or upperi is a combination of a particular vegetable and coconut. We can use vegetables like Ivy gourd, Carrot, Cabbage, French beans, Long Beans, Beetroot, Snake gourd etc and pluses like Mung bean, tur dal or sambar dal etc for making Thoran or upperi. I am also using the combination of vegetables for making thoran or upperi. Combination of Carrot and Cabbage, Carrot and Long Beans etc are good ingredients for making tasty thoran.
Ingredients (1 Cup = 250 ml)
2 Table spoons oil
2 Table spoons mustard seed
10 curry leaves
5 sliced shallots
1 or 2 green Chile
3 to 4 cups carrot, grated
1 cup fresh coconut, grated
½ tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
Method of Carrot Thoran Preparation
- Heat coconut oil in a pot on medium. Fry mustard seeds for a few minutes then add curry leaves.
- Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add Chile and grated carrot. Stir well and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Mix grated coconut, turmeric, and salt.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes, until the carrots are barely cooked and still crunchy.
- Use Chopper for chopping Carrot, it will save time and will get fine carrot pieces.
- Don’t use water for making carrot thoran, otherwise it will overcook and will loss its taste.
- Before cooking thoran, mix carrot and salt together.
- For better taste use more shallots.
- Always use coconut oil for better taste.